Posted by Aiden Clinton
on Jun 7, 2011 in AdSense
| Comments Off on How to Create an AdSense Unit for Your Mobile Website
I receive a large portion of my traffic from mobile devices — upwards of 10% on some days. As iPads, iPhones and Android devices — not to mention Windows Phone and BlackBerry — continue to grow, I only expect a higher percentage of visitors to use mobile devices in the future. Therefore, one of your top concerns if you run any kind of affiliate website should be how to market to users of these devices. Studies have shown that mobile users are particularly likely to click ads, and that they enjoy rich media ads that have some kind of interactive element. I believe that Google AdSense is an excellent fit for mobile websites, and AdSense gives you the ability to generate a rich media ad unit that will engage your visitors.
- Proceed to adsense.google.com and log in to your Google account if prompted.
- Click “My Ads” at the top of the page.
- Click “Mobile Content” on the left side.
- Click the “New Ad Unit” button.
- Type a name for the AdSense unit in the “Name” field.
- Make sure that the “Device type” drop-down menu says “iPhones and other highend devices only.” This is my personal recommendation, but you may want to experiment with both ad types.
- Click the “Ad Format” drop-down menu, and select “320 x 50 Leaderboard.” You may want to experiment with other ad sizes, but this size works particularly well with the WordPress mobile website plugin that I’ll be explaining in a future post.
- Make sure that the “Ad type” drop-down menu says “Text & image/rich media ads.”
- Enter the color palette as you would a normal AdSense unit.
- Click the “Create new custom channel” link.
- Type a name for the custom channel, and then click “Save.”
- Click “Save and Get Code.”
Paste the code into the template for your mobile website, and you are on your way. In a future post, I’ll be showing you how to easily create a mobile version of your WordPress website using a free plugin, and the code for your new mobile AdSense unit will become a vital part of that process.