How do I add my website to Bing Webmaster Tools?
A month or two into running my first websites and beginning to gain traffic, I noticed that none of my visitors ever came from Bing or Yahoo. “I know that Bing and Yahoo are struggling right now,” I thought, “but I really thought that I would get some traffic from them.” As it turned out, I had foolishly assumed that Bing would get around to crawling and indexing my website eventually. In fact, months went by before I realized that Bing has their own set of webmaster tools, and you need to add your site to Bing Webmaster Tools and provide a sitemap if you want Bing to index your site promptly.
Note: Search engine results at Yahoo are powered by Bing. Therefore, once Bing indexes your website, it will appear in the search results at Yahoo as well.
1. Proceed to the Bing Webmaster Tools website and click the “Sign In to Use Webmaster Tools” button. If you already have a Hotmail/Windows Live account, you can use your email address and password to sign in. Otherwise, you must create an account by following the instructions on the screen.
2. Click the “Add Site” button on the left side of the window.
3. Type the URL of your website in the pop-up window that appears, and click “Submit.” At this point, Bing Webmaster Tools needs to verify your ownership of the website that you are adding.
4. Click “Place an XML file on your Web server.” You can also verify your ownership with Bing by adding a meta tag to your index page, but I prefer the first option because every bit of code that you add to your website makes it take a little longer to load.
5. Download the XML file and place it in the main directory of your website (usually “public_html”) using an FTP client (I prefer FileZilla, which is free).
6. Click the “Verify” button. Bing Webmaster Tools verifies your ownership of the website and brings you to the “Dashboard” page for that site.
7. Click the “Crawl” button at the top of the page.
8. Click the “Sitemaps” link on the left side of the page.
9. Click the “Add Sitemap” button. Type the address of your website’s sitemap (usually mywebsite.com/sitemap.xml) in the box and click “Submit.” Learn how to create a sitemap for your website.
Bing Webmaster Tools downloads the sitemap, and you are finished. Just like with Google Webmaster Tools, expect to wait several days for Bing to crawl your website and for it to begin appearing on search engine result pages.