Posted by Aiden Clinton
on Nov 23, 2010 in Operating a Website
| Comments Off on How to Set Up Google Analytics
Out of all of the free tools available for tracking the performance of a website, I know nothing better than the combination of Google Analytics and Google Webmaster Tools. With Google Analytics, you can see how many people are visiting your website. It is a great motivational tool to see that number slowly tick up after starting your first website. However, Google Analytics has a far more important function, and that is the ability to see each day how people find your website. I will discuss how to use that information in a future article. Today, I am going to explain how to set up Google Analytics on your website.
This article assumes that you have already created an account for Google Analytics. If you haven’t, go to the Google Analytics website, click “Sign Up Now” and fill out the required information. We’ll wait for you here.
- Go to the Google Analytics website and click the blue “Access Analytics” button. Enter your user name and password if prompted.
- Click the “Add New Profile” link in the upper-right corner of the window.
- Click the “Add a profile for a new domain” radio button.
- Type the URL for your website, e.g. “http://theaffluentblogger.com” (or http://www.theaffluentblogger.com if you prefer).
- Enter your time zone. After you set up Google Analytics, all data for incoming visitors will be displayed relative to your local time zone, making the reports uniform.
- Click “Finish.” The screen changes to display the code that you need to set up Google Analytics on your site, in a large text block beginning with “<script>” and ending with “</script>.”
- Highlight the entire block of code with the mouse pointer, then right-click the highlighted text and select “Copy.”
- Navigate to the wp-admin page for your website (http://mywebsite.com/wp-admin by default). Enter your user name and password to log in. (Note: my instructions here are specific for WordPress themes from Elegant Themes. If you do not use one of these themes, see the end of the article for additional help.
- Click “Appearance” on the left side of the screen, and then click “(Theme name) Theme Options.” This displays the EPanel screen your Elegant Themes WordPress theme.
- Click “Integration” to bring up the code integration screen for your WordPress theme. Make sure that all of the boxes here say “This is Enabled.”
- Right-click inside the second empty box, “Add code to the <body>.” Click “Paste” to insert your Google Analytics code. This sets up Google Analytics by automatically adding the tracking code to each new page and blog post that you create.
- Click the “Save” button at the bottom of the window. Google Analytics will begin tracking visits to your site immediately. Starting at midnight in your local time zone, you can view the data compiled for the previous day.
- Return to the Google Analytics page, and click “Save and Finish.”
If you do not use an Elegant Themes WordPress theme, you will need another way to set up Google Analytics by integrating the code into each page of the site. The fastest way to do this is with a WordPress plugin. The SubZane Google Analytics Plugin is highly rated.