Posted by Aiden Clinton
on Aug 14, 2011 in Operating a Website
| Comments Off on How to Transfer a Domain from GoDaddy to BigRock
Not too long ago, I won an auction on GoDaddy for an expired domain, and that domain became mine. There was a small problem, though — I prefer a different registrar. However, because of ICANN regulations, I had to wait 60 days before transferring the domain. The waiting period has now passed, so I thought that I would write a brief piece about how to transfer a domain from GoDaddy since the procedure is rather complex. It shouldn’t be too difficult to adapt these instructions for other registrars.
- Proceed to GoDaddy.com. Enter your customer number and password in the fields at the top of the page, and then press “Enter.”
- Open the “My Account” menu in the upper-right corner of the page, and then click “My Products.” In the next screen, you should see your domain under “My Domains.”
- Click the domain name. This displays information about the domain in a new window titled “Domain Details.” Click the “Advanced View” button on the right side of the window if it is not already selected.
- Click the “Manage” link next to “Locked” under “Domain Information” on the left side of the page.
- Remove the check from the box next to “Lock Domains,” and then click “OK” twice. This unlocks the domain for transfer.
- Click the “Send by Email” link next to “Authorization Code” on the left side of the page. Click “OK” twice.
- Check the email address associated with your GoDaddy account for a message from GoDaddy. The alphanumeric code next to “Authorization Info” is the code that you need to transfer your domain.
- Proceed to BigRock.com and click the “My Account” link at the top. Type your email address and password, and click “Login.”
- Open the “Domains” menu at the top of the page and select “Transfer.”
- Type the domain name that you want to transfer in the “Domain” field.
- Copy the code in the email from GoDaddy, and paste it in the “Transfer Auth Code” field.
- Click the green “Transfer” button.
- Check to make sure that the name displayed in the “Owner” field is correct, and then click “Continue.” You can enable privacy services for the domain if desired after the transfer to BigRock is complete.
- Enter your payment information. BigRock charges $9.99 for domain name transfers, but extends your ownership of the domain for another year after the current expiration date.
- Click the “Continue” or “Return to Payment Processing” link to return to BigRock after making your payment.
- Check your email account for a message from BigRock. Scroll down to the “Approve Transfer Link” heading and click the link below. You should now see the message “The request for transfer of (domain) has been confirmed.” BigRock is now notifying GoDaddy of your intent to transfer the domain.
- Check your email account again. You should now have a message from GoDaddy confirming the transfer request. If you do nothing, the transfer will be completed after five days, or you can approve it immediately.
- Return to the “My Products” page at GoDaddy.com and click the “Transfer” tab. The domain is now listed here. Click the domain name.
- Click the “Accept/Decline” button near the upper-left corner of the page.
- Click the “Accept” radio button, and then click “OK” twice. This completes the domain transfer. Note that it can take a few days before the domain shows up as “Active” on your BigRock account.