Posted by Aiden Clinton
on Apr 13, 2012 in Operating a Website
| Comments Off on How to Automatically Install WordPress on 1&1
If you’ve never had the pleasure of installing WordPress manually, be thankful; my first WordPress install was a lengthy and problematic process that I wouldn’t like to repeat. Today, many Web hosts such as 1&1 offer automatic application building. This tutorial will walk you through the process of installing WordPress on your 1&1 account.
Note: 1and1 places heavy restrictions on what you can do with automatically built applications. If you install WordPress using these steps, you will be unable to directly modify any files, install new themes and plugins or update WordPress. Use my instructions for installing WordPress manually on 1&1 hosting to avoid these restrictions or use a company that gives you full access to automatically built applications, such as HostGator.
- Log in to your 1&1 account using the information provided in the welcome email. This brings you to the 1&1 control panel.
- Scroll down to the Website/Applications heading and click the Click & Build link.
- Hover the mouse over WordPress and click the Install Application button.
- Type the desired name for the WordPress blog in the Name field. This is not the same as the blog’s title; this is simply the name that will identify the WordPress blog on your 1&1 account’s list of installed applications.
- Click the drop-down menu next to Domain and select the desired domain for the new WordPress installation.
- Type the desired login name in the Administrator’s login field.
- Type the desired password in the Password and Repeat Password fields.
- Type the administrator’s email address in the Administrator’s Email field. This will be the main email address attached to the WordPress blog.
- Type the desired title for the WordPress blog in the Weblog Title field. Like the administrator’s email address, you can always change this later through the WordPress dashboard.
- Select your language on the Interface Language drop-down menu.
- Click the Install button to install WordPress on your 1&1 account.
This begins the installation process. During this time, 1&1 automatically installs WordPress on the domain you selected. When this process is complete, you will receive a confirmation email. This may take several minutes.