How do I use AdSense to monetize my content on Google FeedBurner?
In a previous post, I explained how to syndicate the content of your website by adding your RSS feed to FeedBurner. This post will explain how to add AdSense advertisements to your FeedBurner feed so you do not miss out on an opportunity for monetization, and this three-part series concludes with instructions on how to add a FeedBurner “Subscribe” button to your website.
While adding AdSense advertisements to your FeedBurner feed is not a requirement, I see no reason not to. Google adds just one advertisement to each FeedBurner post, so your readers will not be overwhelmed by ads. Additionally, different people have different reading patterns; some people subscribe to an RSS feed and read website updates exclusively through their email client or RSS reader without ever visiting the website. You would not want to miss out on an opportunity to monetize the content that people consume only through your RSS feed.
1. Proceed to the Google AdSense website and log in.
2. Click the “My Ads” tab at the top of the page.
3. Click the plus sign next to “Feeds” and click “Feed Ads” below.
4. Click the “New Feed Unit” button.
5. Click the drop-down menu next to “Ad Type” to indicate whether you would like your feed to include text ads, image ads or both.
6. Click the drop-down menu next to “Frequency” to indicate how often AdSense advertisements should appear.
7. Click the drop-down menu next to “Post Length” if you would like AdSense advertisements to appear only on longer posts.
8. Click the drop-down menu next to “Position” to indicate whether AdSense should appear before or after your FeedBurner posts.
9. Click the “Create New Custom Channel” link if you would like AdSense advertisements for your FeedBurner feed to be tracked in their own AdSense channel. I recommend this, as it allows you to see the performance of your FeedBurner feed and gives advertisers the ability to target your readers with advertisements if the feed is popular.
10. Click the name of your FeedBurner RSS feed next to “Feeds” near the bottom of the page. Note that if you have not created the feed yet, it will not appear here.
11. Click the “Save” button.
Note that, as with any other new AdSense ad unit, it may take a while before advertisements begin to appear on your feed. Allow at least 30 minutes or so for AdSense ads to appear on your FeedBurner feed before you begin checking to see if you made a mistake.