Posted by Aiden Clinton
on Nov 27, 2010 in Website Promotion
| Comments Off on Create a Facebook Page for Your Website
As I’ve mentioned in the past, I strongly believe that social bookmarking is the SEO of the future. I think that the number of people who have given your site their vote of confidence has an effect on your ranking in the search engines, and that the effect of those votes will only become stronger in the future. So, it stands to reason that if you want your site to have the most exposure possible, you need to be connected to your readers socially. Facebook is currently the world’s most popular social network, with over 500 million active users (according to Facebook’s own estimates). Therefore, adding your website to Facebook is an excellent way to begin getting socially connected. It is also a way to get a backlink to your website from Facebook.
- Navigate to Facebook and click “Create a page for a celebrity, band or business” on the bottom-right corner of the page.
- Click the “Brand, product, or organization” radio button under “Official Page” on the right side of the page.
- Click the drop-down menu and select “Website.”
- Type the name of your website.
- Click the check box to indicate that you have the authority to act as an official representative of your website.
- Click “Create Official Page.”
- Click “Create Page.”
- Enter your email address and password to log in if you already have a personal Facebook account. Otherwise, fill in the information requested to create a new account. You are now looking at the “Get Started” screen for your official Facebook page.
Managing a Facebook page is beyond the scope of this article. I recommend at least adding a picture to your website’s Facebook page, and then you can come back later to add additional content. However, there is one step that you should definitely take care of while you are here, and that is creating a Facebook widget so readers can “Like” your website.
- Check the address bar at the top of the screen. The URL should be something like “http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Affluent-Blogger/135024339884639.” Highlight the URL and copy it.
- Scroll down to “Step 5” on the Facebook “Get Started” screen and click “Add Like Box.”
- Paste the copied URL into the “Facebook Page URL” box. The widget on the right side of the screen should change to display the name of your website.
- Use the other customization options to select whether you would like the Facebook widget to show a header, display entries from your Facebook stream, set the width of the widget and select a color scheme.
- Click the “Get Code” button.
- Highlight and copy the contents of the “iframe” box.
- Log in to your website’s WordPress dashboard. Click “Appearance” on the left side of the screen, and then click “Widgets.”
- Drag the “Text” widget to the sidebar.
- Paste the Facebook widget code into the main area of the text widget, and type a title such as “Add Us on Facebook.”
- Click the “Save” button. Visitors to your website will begin seeing your Facebook widget immediately.