Technorati is one of the most important blog directories on the Internet. After you register, Technorati picks up the RSS feed from your blog and syndicates it, giving potential readers another way to find your website. Although potential readers can find your blog on Technorati though a basic keyword search, Technorati also ranks another aspect of listed blogs, which it calls their “authority.” The authority of a blog on Technorati is based on the number of other blogs that link to it. As your readership grows, it will also grow in authority on Technorati, leading still more people to find your site. In this sense, Technorati’s authority system is similar to Google’s PageRank.
Another benefit of listing your blog on Technorati is the fact that the backlink that you receive from Technorati is “dofollow,” meaning that it can influence the PageRank of your site. Technorati presently has a Google PageRank of 8 out of 10.
- Proceed to the main page of Technorati and click the “Join” link near the top of the page. Enter the required information and click the “Join” button.
- Proceed to your email account and look for an email titled “Welcome to Technorati.” Open the email and click the activation link contained within. After activating your account, sign in using the user name and password that you entered in Step 1.
- Click your user name in the upper-right corner of the screen to view your Technorati profile.
- Type the address of your website in the box next to “Start a blog claim” and click the “Claim” button. This brings you to the “New Claim” form for Technorati.
- Type the full name of your website in the “Blog Title” box.
- Type the address to your feed in the “Feed URL” box (usually mywebsite.com/feed or mywebsite.com/rss).
- Type the addresses of up to three blogs that link to yours, if you know of any. This can give your website a head start toward gaining authority on Technorati.
- Type a description of your blog, using up to 1000 characters. Think of this box as the “elevator pitch” for your website; describe the site fully, but try to write in such a way that people will want to click through Technorati to visit the site.
- Type up to 18 keywords and keyword phrases that describe your website. Just as with any other search engine, use the keyword phrases that people who want to find a website like yours are likely to enter.
- Click “Proceed to the next step.”
- Return to your email account and look for an email from Technorati titled “Technorati claim in progress.” Open the email and locate the string of 12 random letters and numbers. Highlight and copy the string.
- Create a new post on your website that contains the string copied from the previous step. The post can have any title you like, and it does not need to contain any other text. Publish the post.
- Return to Technorati and click your user name in the upper-right corner of the page to open your profile.
- Scroll down to the “My Claimed Blogs” section and click the “Check Claim” button.
- Click the “Verify Claim Token” button. Technorati checks your website’s feed to verify that the 12-character string is present.
- Refresh the claim status page after a few minutes. You should now see a message stating that Technorati has successfully crawled your blog and found the claim token. You can now delete the post with the random 12-character string.
Allow plenty of time for Technorati to add your website to its blog directory. Because many webmasters submit their blogs to Technorati every day, it may take a week or more before someone reviews your website for inclusion.